Monday, October 20, 2008

I made the decission

I decided last night to buy a welder. I have been toying with the idea for a couple of days. I decided last night that I would get one for sure. I still haven't decided for sure which one but I am a minimalist. I want the one that will do what I need but nothing more. I'm not going to be making a bullet proof bike so that would be a waste. I need to weld drive wheels and motor frames.

I know I'm not going to be building bikes for sale, but I want one anyway.

I learned a valuable lesson from my mother in law's death. She got sick and we had to spend all her money on her care before medicaid would help with her nursing home expense which was fair. We also have to give all the money from the sale of her home to the state to partially reimburse for her care. It won't cover what we owe but the debt will be wiped clean.

So my point is the idea of leaving anything for the kids is not really relevant here. My wife or I one will eat up all the money that is in our savings. I don't really need a welder but it would be a convenience and I have the money for it now so I'm going to buy it.

Who knows I might even start making yard art lol...

1 comment:

Comfortable Shoes Studio said...

When my grandfather was dying they told my grandmother that everything would need to be sold to pay for the health care if he held on for a long time. She is a scrappy old bird and "sold" the farm to my father for the great sum of $1, the truck to my brother for $1, the motel she owned to my aunt for $1. The promise was that though she had sold it to them she still had control for a certain number of years.

Well he ended up passing more quickly than expected, but the state nor anyone else could go after my grandmother for assets that she no longer had.

A good lawyer could have punched holes through the sales,given their timing but it had been a plan all along that when something happened to one of my grandparents the sales would happen. Too bad it happened too soon, but you've got to be fast to outwit the government and their money grabbing ways.