Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Gina's bike Walter

Walter noticed the for sale sign on the smallest house he had ever seen. The house was on the block behind the house where he and his wife had lived when Gina was born. It was a white frame house that looked to be the size of a double garage. He made a mental note of the realtor for some reason. The house haunted him for some reason as he rode the bike home.

With his new found enthusiasm Walter cleaned the house, while a pot of home made soup boiled in the kitchen. He cleaned the house because it needed it in the worse way. If he had known what was in store for him that afternoon, he would have cleaned it for that reason.

At three in the afternoon Bobby showed up with a young woman about his own age. "Dad I want you to meet Sarah." He turned his attention to the young blonde, "Sarah this is my dad."

The introductions took place in the living room. "Hello Sarah, it's nice to meet you."

"Thank you Mr. McGuire, bobby has told me a great deal about you."

"Well don't believe a word of it. I actually have mellowed out since he was last around me."

"Oh I hope not too mellow. Bobby made you sound like a lot of fun." She smiled the smile only a young woman can pull off innocent yet mischievous.

"Ah, well that only time can tell. So come on in I have a pot of homemade soup cooking. It should be ready shortly."

"We can't stay long dad we are just on the way to look for an apartment."

"What about the place you live now Bobby?"

"It's too small for the three of us. Sarah has a daughter dad."

"Sounds to me like you are going to move in together."

"Yes dad. Sarah and I dated before I went to Iraq and now that I'm home for good, we are going to tie the knot. I came to ask if you would stand up for me."

Sarah showed off her engagement ring at that point.

"Son you know I will. I hope you have given this a lot of thought marriage is a big step. It's supposed to last forever."

"We have dad. We had a over a year to think about it. It's what I want to do."

That was the moment Walter's new plan came to be. It was kismet he decided and time to just take the plunge himself. "Well it comes at a good time. I have decided this old house is too big for me."

"Before you go on dad, I hope you aren't planning to do anything stupid."

"Like what?"

"Like try to give me this house."

"Not likely it's the only thing I have of any real value. I have the rest of my life to think about. What I plan to do is to sell it. If you want to buy it, I will make sure you can afford it, If not then it goes on the market. I have no need for a four bedroom two bath house these days."

"Well we will talk about it but I don't think the place would be right for us. Like you said it's just too big."

"That and it isn't very grand," Walter said it with a smile. "Bobby has always loved flashy things. If it shines he is hooked." Walter said the last part to Sarah.

"You know it isn't that."

Since the tone was getting out of hand, Walter said, "What I was going to offer was that if you don't want a deal on the house, then take any of the furniture you would like. Of course take anything of your mother's that Sarah would like.

Just like that the decision was made. Walter began thinking about a smaller place. He decided that he could buy a smaller cheaper place with a long term mortgage right away. Then when the house he lived in was sold, he could just pay off the new house and do the renovations he wanted done. He was sure there would be renovations.

Walter was lucky the housing bubble had burst. The new house would be dirt cheap and he could hold onto the existing house till the market improved. He could just list it and let it sit or he could rent it. He hated the idea of renting it so probably it would sit empty.

"Bobby, if you don't want to buy this house at a deal, think about renting it. There is no pressure but you know I would make you a deal."

"I'll think about it dad but don't count on it."

"Well let me know soon, I am going to make a move very quickly.

No comments: