Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Gina's bike Walter

Quickly was an understatement. Walter didn't have a lot of money, but he did have enough for the down payment on the tiny frame house that he had seen. He also had just enough income to make the payments and live reasonably well.

"So this is it?" Walter asked the realtor.

"Yep, Walter you own the house on Macy Street."

"The way you said that, it sounds like a horror movie. You know like, Welcome to the house on Macy Street, the movie."

"Oh it's just way too small a house for a man coming from 2000 square feet. Heck Walter your garage is bigger."

"Not quite Rubin, but it is a small place."

"So what are you going to do with the big house?"

"If Bobby doesn't want it, I'll put it on the Market."

"Well I hope you will let me sell it." Walter had gotten to know Rubin pretty well in the two weeks it took to arrange the sale and the financing. It was a natural question for Rubin to ask.

"Rubin, I don't have a realtor so sure you can list it. Just give me one last chance to convince Bobby to take it."

On Sunday Bobby gave his dad the final replay. "Dad I know you mean well, but I really don't want to live in this house. It's just too much for us. Too much space and too much upkeep." He looked his dad in the eye and continued. "You gave me mom's car when I came home and I appreciate it, but the house is too much."

"Oh, I'm not going to give it to you, I was planning to sell it to you."

"I know but I just can't do it."

"Well Bobby, I am going to list it for sale. The housing market is down, so if you decide before it is sold, I'll still work something out for you, but if not it is gone."

"Do what you think is best dad, but I am sure now. I just wouldn't feel good about it."

Sarah never voiced an opinion but Walter felt pretty sure it was her decision more than his son's. It was probably the right decision for them, so Walter didn't resent her for it.

Walter had become quite taken with Sarah's so Edward. Walter was the only one who ever called him Eddie. That was what Sarah said with just a hint of disapproval. Walter didn't care as long as the disapproval didn't grow into something more. He enjoyed teasing her as well as Eddie. Eddie wasn't quite two, so he really didn't seem to be fond of anyone but his mother. Eddie was found of chocolate though.

No comments: