Monday, June 29, 2009

The bike plan

Unlike a novel things in real life just don't happen all at once. In real life you live a day with nothing significant happening. Like I can sit on that pier everyday of my life and just think about life, but you can only describe that a couple of times. After that it get boring. I spent at least two days at a time riding around the park at night and sitting on the pier during the days. I was not one bit bored.

The more I rode the bike to the beach the better I got at it. After a while I decided that high speed was not what I needed. What I really needed was longer range. I didn't want to pedal a lot, but I didn't mind traveling at 10mph or so. I needed to stretch the battery power just as far as possible. I had the rear wheel already set up, so I just needed to find the right motor for the DIY bike and then switch out.

I knew from my tests at home that the motor would probably be something even smaller than the hub motor I used. The hub motor bike was my compromise bike. It had good range and good climbing ability but was only good not exceptional at either. The 500 watt motor was great at speed and climbing hill, but was also a battery killer. It was time to experiment again.

No comments: