Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The day after the great flood..

I could learn to like this job, I thought that after finding the chocolate cake on my picnic table. The note read. I got here to late to catch you. The park manager said you go to the beach every day. I wanted you to know how much I appreciated you turning off the water. Even more for waiting till dad finished the repair than turning it back on. I hate cold showers.

Mom said the best way to say thank you to a bachelor was food. The cake is the best I could do on short notice.

Mary.

Yes, I thought, I could learn to like this job.

All that changed later that night when I was called to handle a noise complaint. I spoke to a group of young people about the music at their cookout.

"Hey who is in charge here?" I asked it of a guy standing at the edge of the mobile home space.

"Who are you?"

"I'm the night manager, who are you."

"I rent this space so I can do whatever I want." It was pretty obvious that he had been drinking.

"No actually you can't. Did you read the park rules?... I know you signed them, but did you read them?"

"What rule am I breaking.

"The loud noise rule."

"It's early I can make all the noise I want till 11pm."

"How can one man be so wrong so often?" I asked. "You are quoting law not rules. See you agreed to abide by the rule that says loud and unusual noises are not permitted and are reason for eviction.'

"What?"

I showed him the rule. "Now if I'm not mistaken they charge about a grand to move and reset a mobile home. Not to mention the wiring and other costs. So unless you want to have to deal with that, I suggest you move the party indoors and keep the noise down to a roar. Then kill it all by 11pm or you can also deal with the Sheriff. I do not give but one warning."

"What if I just kick your ass old man?"

"Then you go from disturbing the peace misdemeanor to assault and battery a class a felony. You get to move from a fine to prison time. Your next party would be with a 300 pound guy named Bubba. A dance in the shower I expect."

I figured him to be a reasonable man, so I turned my back on him. I also ignored the nasty names he called me. What I didn't ignore was him following me to the truck. He was in my face so I did what any good night manager would do, I called the day manager. She shared a few words with him over the phone.

"I might as well finish the party, she is going to evict me. I hope you're satisfied old man."

"You made the decision I just made the call. She would have let you back down anytime. Whatever happens now is between you two. But if this noise is still going on at 11pm, it will be between you and the sheriff." With that I drove away,

No comments: