Tuesday, June 23, 2009

I was back doing the on call thing, when my phone rang on Tuesday evening. Since Laura and I had not been able to connect since Sunday, I thought that life might be about to change again. I hadn't put a lot of faith in our relationship so I wasn't really hurt.

"Hello," I said into the phone.

"This is Mary Barker in lot 17. My water line broke. Can you come turn off the water please."

It was one thing I had been taught to do. The park provided water as part of the rent. The Management did not want to be providing it to tenant with a broken line.

"I'll be right down just hold on." The broken pipe thing happened more in the winter but it happened enough so that the pickup had a valve handle under the driver's seat.

I hustled out and drove to lot 17. Sure enough water was dripping from underneath the mobile home. Actually it was doing more than dripping. I found the valve and used the rusty handle to shut the water off.

"Thank you so much," The much younger woman said.

"Nothing to it," I replied. My curiosity was aroused. So what happened to the water line?

"My father," she said with a chuckle. She noted my curious look. "He was trying to move my refrigerator and broke the ice maker line."

"Ah, well let me know when he has it fixed and I'll turn your water back on."

"Very well," she replied.

"Hey, do you have a 3/8" wrench?" The voice came from a man about my age.

"I might have one at the house, Hold on I'll take a look." I found a 3/8" wrench in my took kit pretty easily. It isn't often that I can do that. The drive back to the Barker home was quick. I did wait until the old man was finished with my tool before I left. When I left the water was on and the refrigerator no longer leaked. Mary Barker was busy mopping water when I left.

No comments: