Monday, June 15, 2009

day eight

I woke to the sun in my eyes. I knew I should have bought something to use as curtains. I made it out of bed and turned on the coffee, before the idea hit me. As the coffee dripped, I tore paper towels to the proper length then attached them to a bit of string. Attaching it to the cheap paneling wasn't a big issue since I had a roll of duct tape which I had packed to use in building battery packs.

Tomorrow, I thought, I can sleep a little later maybe. The coffee was finished so I took a cup out to the spot under the awning. The morning was cool but the day was going to be hot and muggy. All that water laying about would guarantee the humidity would be high.

After the coffee and a few minutes to get my mind and body in sync, I hooked up the grocery getter bike. The grocery getter was the hub motor bike with a combination battery and grocery basket trailer attached to the rear. I could get a couple of days groceries in the trailer at least. Gathering groceries for me was probably a lot like it had been for cavemen and women. I had to go hunt and gather food almost every day. Well at least three times a week. However, I had accumulated enough extra food for rainy days.

"You Charlie Williams," the young woman in the pickup asked through the truck's window.

"Yes ma'am," I replied. I expected that she was a park employee, No one else would know my name.

The next thing she did was to climb out of the small pickup. "My name is Lana Sims. I'm the park manager."

"Nice to meet you Ms Sims. I didn't see you when I arrived. Of course I did most of it by email. The guy who showed me the space must have been an employee of yours."

"Yes that would have been my father. He kind of owns the place. He is also the night manager/security guard."

"Ah I see." I waited but when she didn't go on I asked. "So Ms Sims what can I do for you."

"Well I hope we can do something for each other."

"Oh what do you mean?" I just knew I wasn't going to be lucky enough for her to mean anything personal.

"Dad said you were a cop," She replied.

"Oh that was a while back. I only told him that to explain about the bikes." She looked bewildered. He asked if I was staying a while since I was driving a uhaul. I don't guess you see that too often. I told him I was retired but that I used to be a cop."

"Right that's about what he said. So I have a proposition for you."

No comments: