Saturday, June 13, 2009

Day six

I loaded up the two battery packs and took off for the beach again. I stopped in the pier parking lot to do a quick walk around. I was looking at the light posts. I was hoping to find one with an electrical outlet. Sometimes the plans call for one so that the electricians can use their power tools to work on the outside lights.

Sure enough I found a light pole with a receptacle at the bottom. I went from that spot to the snack bar.

"Good morning," I said to the woman behind the counter. She was at least fifty so I felt pretty comfortable talking to her. "I ride an electric bike down from Brunswick. I would like to come down more often but I need a place to charge my batteries."

She had a blank look so I went on. "I noticed that you have a light post with an electrical receptacle on it. I was wondering if I could charge my batteries there."

"Whats it worth to you?" She asked it without batting an eye.

"Well they say it costs about a nickle an hour to charge those batteries. How about I give you double that?"

"How long is it gonna take," she asked.

"Three or four hours I would think."

"What you gonna be doing while it charges?"

"Most likely I will be looking at the ocean from your pier. I might even try fishing."

"Then you will be a customer while you wait?"

"Most likely yes," I agreed.

"Then the price will be a dollar a day."

"Throw in one free cup of coffee and I can do that."

"Fair enough," she replied. "You gonna plug it in today."

"Not today, I brought a double pack today. I will charge it up next time I come down."

I chatted with the fishermen, enjoyed my feelings of insignificance, and took a walk on the sand. It was all in all a good day.

Back home that night I saw and spoke to both sets of my neighbors. I had a bowl of quick soup for dinner then went to bed.

Quick soup is made with two strips of bacon cooked in a toaster oven. It is then added to a can of mixed veggies and salted liberally. It actually isn't too bad with corn chips.

I slept on that camp bed again and swore at it again.

No comments: