Thursday, June 18, 2009

Into a habit

Good habits or bad habits are easy to get into and hard to bet out of. Over the next week I fell into a routine. I would sit at home on the net from five till I made the tour of the park around midnight. After which I just went to bed. I usually had a little noise or something similar to investigate sometime during the evening, but midnight generally marked an end to that. People who lived in the park, for the most part, were hard workers. They obviously needed their sleep. The camper spaces were filled with fishermen who needed to sleep since they arose early to meet their chartered boat. They wanted to squeeze every second out of their charter time.

When I awoke I would deliver the truck to the office for the maintenance man. Then I would ride my bike to breakfast. Usually that was on the way to the beach. I sat on the pier reading some mystery or adventure novel. Those I bought second hand at the news stand. No it wasn't a small newspaper vendor, it was a warehouse of newspapers and used books. You know, one of those buy it for have price trade it in for half of the half price.

I had taken on a rather pleasant existence. I was also getting way too comfortable. Something had to happen and it did in the third week of my two month job.

One of the main things I was hired to do was to determine what needed a cop and what I could calm down myself. The woman standing in the kitchen of the mobile home with a rather nasty automatic pistol trained on a much larger man, was one I felt sure needed a cop. I sat on her picnic table to place the 911 call.

No comments: