Tuesday, June 9, 2009

early morning misery

I got in Monday night after six. I had time to park the trailer and level it but nothing else. I took a chance and drove the truck up to a fast food drive thru for a burger and coke. Since I was just as exhausted as if I had actually worked, instead of sitting behind the wheel of an air conditioned truck, I just fell asleep on the camp bed. The weather was warm so I didn't even use the sleeping bag at all.

Tuesday morning I took the truck back and paid my bill. It was much less than half what a tow to the camp ground would have cost. I got lucky and found a campground which would let me stay as long as I liked. The space even included electricity which was figured in with the rent. It was in a less developed part of a mobile home village. My rent was $12 night or $75 a week. Since there was no water and sewer hook up, there was a small bathhouse. The bathhouse had showers that were almost clean, toilets that seemed to have toilet paper, at least they did that first morning. Just inside the bathhouse was a washer and dryer coin operated of course.

It looked as though the place would suit me fine. I was about ten miles from the ocean and ten feet from the next trailer space. I suppose that accounted for the lower price.

The fellow I bought the trailer from found time to replace the original canopy. I was glad of it. Not only would it supply at least a little protection for the bikes it would give me a little shade. The spot on my right had a small pop up camper parked at the rear end of the space. The front must have been for automobiles since there was a small pickup truck there. The space on the left was empty, but it was Tuesday, likely someone would be in before the weekend.

The young couple on my right looked to be about twenty or so. The seemed to have a lot of noisy sex. I would have thought they were on their honeymoon but who would go on honeymoon in a pop up trailer. Probably an old married couple, just not married to each other. That was my thought as I searched for dinner among the cans inside my plastic storage box pantry.

I decided on the gourmet version of beanie weenies with taco chips and a hot tomato sauce made for taco bell sauce, tomato ketchup and Tabasco sauces. After that gourmet meal I settled into the computer search for a carrier. Inside the park I found what I expected. Someone had a wireless dsl connection that was not encrypted. I just punched it into my computer and off I went to the internet.

I played around on a couple of forum sites, then went to bed. My first full day on the North Carlina coast had come to an end. I hoped that I might be able to do a little sight seeing on my second day.

No comments: