Friday, June 12, 2009

Day four

The day started late for me. I woke up early enough but I just couldn't seem to get it together. My body was still tired from the twenty five mile ride the day before. And of course the folding cot was like sleeping on a board.

The folding cot was really no more than an aluminum tube frame the same as those found in a fold lawn chair. Over the frame someone had stretched a couple of pieces of a canvas like material. It was pretty darn miserable sleeping. I kept a running list of things to buy on the wall over the cabinet I used as a dry sink area. I wrote air mattress/sleeping pad. Of the two my preference would be the pad. Once it made the list I forgot about it.

So around noon I heard the noises in the space beside me. It wasn't the side with the couple who couldn't seem to stay out of bed, it was the space on the other side of me. Looked out my one window on that side of the trailer and saw them backing a trailer in. The them was an couple pretty much my age. Both of them looked as though the were retired. My guess was that they were down for the fishing.

Since I am a friendly kind of guy, I went to speak to them after they spotted the travel trailer. That trailer of theirs made mine look like a toy. there's had to be twenty five feet long and at least ten feet wide. It was a real beauty.

The woman was in here sixties I'm sure. She had dyed blond hair and most likely a cast iron bra. She did look pretty good for an old lady I would have to admit. Her husband was equally fit looking. They could have been on the cover of the AARP magazine.

They weren't very friendly though. I spoke but they barely acknowledged my presence. I returned to my trailer pretty much chastised. During the afternoon I rode to the grocery store for a couple of days worth of food. Riding a bike meant frequent trips to the store.

That evening I played around on the internet. I emailed my daughter to let her know I was alive and doing fine. I almost never turned on the cell phone so email was our only reliable means of communication.

I was in bed by eleven. Even on the uncomfortable bed I was sounds asleep within minutes.

No comments: