Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The summer job

The job was only for the summer since the owner/on call man was going fishing in Florida for most of the summer. I had a couple of months to work but only if it worked out okay. Otherwise I would just get a Uhaul truck and move on down the line.

My first night was simple. It was a quick ride on my bike to the office. There I picked up the truck. I left my bike and took the truck to the campsite. It would stay in the drive until I made the tour of the park around midnight. After that it would return to my drive until morning when I would return it to the office parking lot. That was the manager's grand plan anyway.

The park was quiet on that first night. Nobody had maintenance issues and there were no parties on the weeknights. I had a feeling that the loud parties would be Friday and Saturday nights. Even that wasn't much of an issue. A simple warning to quiet down or the sheriff would be visiting should work, if not then it was call the sheriff's office.

I was standing on the visitors side of the manager's desk when she asked, "So how was it."

"Nothing to it. The park was quiet and no one called. Are you sure you had the calls forwarded to me."

"Oh yes, it was just a quiet night on the plantation," she said it with a smile. "Some nights are like that."

"Well I'm awake so I guess I'll head on down to the beach."

"Are you a fisherman to?"

"No, I like to think that I'm the next Ernest Hemingway but more likely I'm just killing time till the end." I gave her my sad look.

"Do you have anything I can read?"

I found an old card in my wallet and gave it to her. It had my web address on it. "Lots of stuff there you can read."

That pretty much ended the conversation so I unhooked the battery charger. I carried it and the batteries over to my bike which I had left in the storage area of the office. It took me a couple of minutes to install the batteries and stow the charger in basket on the rear of my bike.

I didn't even go back home I rode to the pier instead. There it was hook up the bike, pay the lady for the charge, get my free coffee and walk onto the pier. I opened the cheap laptop and began writing in my journal. I always hoped the journal would lead me into some serious writing but it hadn't in months. I had a serious case of writer's block. Okay writer wannabe's block I supposed.

No comments: