Saturday, June 20, 2009

dinner and a lady

I showed up right on time with a bottle of Lambrusco and a healthy appetite. "Come in." the rather harsh female voice came from inside the mobile home.

"Hello," I said it holding out the wine. "I hope this is what you had in mind."

"Ah well I won't know until I taste it." She said that as she turned her back to me. She also reached into the cabinet for over sized wine glasses.

Dinner was quite good. Some kind of pasta thing that wasn't quite spaghetti but was very close. I ate it hungrily since I hadn't had home made anything in weeks. The conversation was interesting as well. Laura Evans was a divorced mother of two children. She informed me that her son was doing his residency in a Big time New York hospital and that her daughter would be graduating college at the end of the fall term. She had stayed one extra semester to finish a second degree. I didn't ask what the degrees were, since I really didn't care.

"So CJ would you like to take a ride. I hear you are partial to walking on piers,"

"Ah I see my secret is out."

"Yes it is. At this time of night the piers will either be empty or there might be a few die hard fishermen."

"Then let's go see what die hard fishermen look like."

Standing with her on the end of the pier on a night with the moon hanging over the water was about as good as it gets for an old guy like me.

No comments: