Saturday, September 18, 2010

The trailer humiliated me but it didn't beat me in the end. I took it back to old school to square it. I just used a board that I knew was square for the bed. I bolted one side axle hanger to it. The rest I just custom fitted. You have to support both sides of the wheel when you use bike wheels for the trailer.

I spent under $3 for the wheels. All the metal I used was just laying around the shop. Even with everything from stock the trailer might have cost me 25 bucks to build.

I rode the bike with 24v no controller and it did just fine on the test track. There are a few more things that will get changed before I give it a real world try. Right now I have it on a custom bike with a coaster brake rear wheel. It works just fine for the 36v full power model, but for this assist model, I need a mountain bike with at least six speeds.

I'm going to keep an eye out at the thrift store and on craigs list. I have a new drive wheel coming in from some guy off ebay. It is supposed to be the smaller one. I think that will work best for a full sized bike.

No comments: