Tuesday, December 2, 2008

reassessment


Last night at 4am I took a look at what I can do and what I can't do. It is too dangerous for me to work with gasoline and gasoline engines. Fortunately for me I started with electric engines so I still have a few laying around. I plan to go back to them with the new knowledge I gained from the gasoline bikes.

The plan is to build a 20-20-20 bike. It's a little ambitious for a DIY electric bike. Twenty mpm -twenty mile range - at about twenty pounds.

For my knowledge and skill levels it has to be friction drive. But I have learned enough so that it doesn't have to be direct friction drive. I am pretty sure that I can use a pulley or chain to make the drive a little easier to balance. I am also pretty sure I will go with a trailer for the batteries. That should make it easier to carry the weight without making the bike all crazy.

so what about an motor design. I just happen to have two motors that might work. One for sure will the other is a possibility. Both are going to require some experimentation, but I love that crap.

I also want it to be easily moved from one bike to another. Here is the concept drawing

No comments: