Friday, January 2, 2009

test results

I managed to get a short test of the 125watt bike. The road was damp so it would have done a little better on a dry road. The drive wheel fell off after half a mile. I knew the mounting of the wheel wasn't good. I should have done it again but too late now.

The speed was as good for this bike as for the 500 watt. Speed on the flat or down hill is a function of the drive wheel diameter and the rpms of the engine. This bike did fine.

The speed dropped off on the hill climb to the point of stalling but only because I didn't pedal at all. Even with a small mount of pedaling it would have done fine.

So here are the things that you have to balance.

125 watt..... good speed on the flat....moderate pedaling on hills. low energy consumption.

500 watt..... same speed on the flats.... slight to no pedaling on the hills... much higher energy consumption.

I don't see a lot of difference with either bike. tomorrow with the better weather, I am going to ride the bike trail with the 500 since I had to trash the 125 engine.

No comments: