Thursday, January 22, 2009

heating up

Today it's supposed to be up to 50 degrees. I should get a chance to test ride both my bikes today. I plan to do just that. I have a lot of hope for the suspension bike with the bike chain drive. It might fall apart since I welded the drive but I hope not. If that turns out to be the way to go, I can make better motor/drives using the basic plans.

Right now it's going to be about gear ratios. the one to one with only a slightly larger drive wheel seems to turn the bike wheel much slower but does it have more torque for the hills which is really the test of this kind of bike.

The larger sprocket on the motor and smaller one on the drive axle has about a one to one with the drive wheel itself so it turns the bikes wheel much faster but will it have any pull on the hills. That is an issue.

All things being the same I would prefer to work with the #25 chain. The motor is balanced for it so the vibration should be less.

There is a 300 watt motor on ebay for twenty bucks including shipping. It would do the trick for the suspension bike if this one shakes apart. I just checked and they took the free shipping off. the motor is now 35 bucks hardly a deal at all.

No comments: