Thursday, January 29, 2009

ready to test

I tossed together an easy ebike yesterday. I just mounted a 300 watt motor to the frame of an old customized mountain bike. The rear wheel has been swapped for a shorter 20" coaster wheel. I welded a bike type 2inch sprocket to the #25 sprocket that was on the motor.

A couple of simple 11/2 u bolts connected the motor to the frame. I ran a bike chain to the smallest of the three chain rings. I have another chain from the large sprocket to the rear of the bike. Now if this was a mountain bike I would have six gears which is what the WallyMart Izip bike has. I think this is pretty much that bike minus a controller. I have one and if I need it i can put it on.

The one thing this bike does not have is a freewheel to allow the pedals to remain stable while the motor turns.

If I can find some way to do that easily this should be a pretty good bike. I'm pretty sure there isn't a way to do it. I think I might be able to go with axle pegs on the frame to raise my feet from the pedals We shall see what we shall see.

No comments: