Saturday, January 17, 2009

hiding out

I am hiding out today. Mama is highly perturbed at me. I don't understand why just because there was a minor accident yesterday.

First of all it was cold yesterday here. I mean bone chilling, mind numbing cold. Since I couldn't ride I decided to start work on a frame to hold a motor onto the full suspension bike which I tend to ignore. I got some angle brackets and put the welder to them. Now by the time I got everything welding my hands were aching so I ran into the house before frostbite set in. I weld just outside the back door on a brick walk.

What I didn't know was that a splatter had ignited a leaf. The leaf ignited more leaves. Unbeknown to me, I had a fire going against my back door. The neighbor just happened to be going by the back and stamped it out. I didn't hear her knocking to tell me about it, so she went home.

The fire was smoldering inside the wall by the time my wife smelled it. I told her not to worry she probably just smelled where I had been welding. That was before I checked to find smoke coming out of my door frame. I pried the frame loose and tossed a couple of gallons of water on it and all ended well.

Except that my wife now is sure I need to be under constant observation. I think a true retirement home was mentioned a few times. It's not like I did it and went to bed. We would have found it when the house FINALLY got warm.

Besides a fire loss is the only way I would ever get the value of the house. It sure as heck won't sell for what it is worth now.

No comments: