Monday, January 19, 2009

on the bike forum

Someone suggested that I shouldn't say that controllers on home build motor bikes are a waste of money. Or something like that. He quoted some nice theory for me which I don't really agree with.

See I tested controller vs on off switch. I ran the same course with the same motor and the same batteries. Once with and once without the controller. Guess what? there was no difference in battery consumption at all.

One of the regulars there suggested that a modern controller might give me more battery range last year. So I ran a very controlled test and it made no difference. The throttle was a nice feature but not at all necessary to operate the bike. I didn't even bother to hook it up this time and I have two controllers. I had smoke coming out of one once so I didn't even bother with it again. I also have a new one from a parted out scooter. I didn't bother to hook it up either just not worth the effort.

So unless you have real world tested it, and can show me the results, I'm going to keep telling builders of simple ebikes a simple on off switch is all you really need.

No comments: