Sunday, August 22, 2010

Today I overheated a scooter motor. It is the first one that I have ever had do that. It wasn't a currie motor but a clone. I had it over volted yes and probably too many amps running through it as well, but whatever the reason, it was smoking and slipping instead of pulling.

I had been smelling something overheating for a while but it smelled like plastic so I assumed that it was the new plastic type duct tape. It probably is for the best. I am upgrading the push trailer to 20" wheels and the motor to a 600 watt currie motor with clutch. The motor that I overheated had no clutch.

I did have to order a near rear sprocket and chain break, so it will be a few days before I have it finished. The sprocket is reasonably small so the trailer is going to be more about speed than torque, but this is the system that can go on any bike so it should allow for good gearing of the bike to help it along.

I found that I miss that gear change on the ebike that I run with the curried geared bike motor. If I ever run across one of those Izip rear wheels with the six speeds I'm going to switch it out.

No comments: