Wednesday, September 17, 2008

It's my choice

How I spend my time and money. I had a row on the bike forum a few months ago because one of the dealers and I disagreed. He was of the opinion that everybody should own a whizzer and nothing else. I was of the opinion that one size does not fit all. So in the end the owner asked me to leave him alone and I suppose he asked the dealer to tone down his comments.

I did back off simply because I don't really care what other people do. What I do care about is that they not try to talk down to other people. At that time I didn't have this part of my blog so I made my case on that forum. I suppose I just have to have my say somewhere.

I am trying to keep it civil over there because I generally like most of the people on that forum. Here I don't have to keep it civil. I am allowed to be be a son of a bitch because this is MY space to voice MY opinion.

So here goes.

There have been friction drive bikes for as long as I can remember. Yes they are less efficient than gears and belts. They have some drawback but mostly it has to do with weather and tire wear issues. I can live with those issues because they are a trade off. Riding in the rain, I wouldn't do that anyway. Tire wear is preferable to me to replacing spokes and wheels because of chain damage.

I don't want to buy a 2,000 dollar bike and I don't want to build another kit bike. I am perfectly happy with my home brew bikes. I resent people telling me that they have the right system and everything else is trash lol.

The bikes I build are easy to build, easy to maintain, easy to change out parts on. I have shaken a couple of engines apart because I didn't have them tightened up. That makes me stupid. I have not worn out an engine just because it was friction drive. I hear a lot more stories about damaged china kits than I do about my kind of bike.

We are running thirty dollar used engines here, we can afford to replace them now and then. I really don't like being talked down to by anyone and that is how it seemed to me. Probably the most knowledgeable man I know on small engines never talked to me like that, even when I was starting out and made the most awful mistakes.

Okay I have vented.

1 comment:

Comfortable Shoes Studio said...

those posts really pissed me off. I don't like that. I felt that the follow "apology" was somewhat lame, but I'll accept it for what it was...

However I really think that the friction drive bikes are the best, least invasive wonderful bikes out there and anyone who thinks different can eat crap.

I did find out i'm getting a China engine kit for my birthday and I'm pretty excited about it but it's a different beast. and going on one of the OCC choppers that I have.

THat being said, I think that the friction drive will always be my favorite.