Thursday, July 15, 2010

Today I went to my special bike shop, thrift store of course, they had an alum suspension bike, I almost bought it but since it was alum I wanted to think about it a while. I came home and did some experimenting with my Ebike. I replaced my hard front forks with suspension ones. First I tried 24" inch but my wheel is in pretty bad shape so I switched to the more substantial twenty inch suspension fortks and a good solid wheel. I have no idea why I took the suspension fork off because I really do like it. I also found that I like the 24inch front wheel. It makes a good weight shift for me. I can also ride it with the seat lower making the bike feel more stable. Thats a bigger issue with me every day it seems.

So I have decided exactly what kind of bike I want to build with. The perfect bike for me to use as a platform for the parts I am now using.

I need:

A fifteen speed 24" mountain bike. Yes I know my rear wheel is a 20" inch one speed but I figure I can leave the dérailleur on the bike and set it for the sprocket I have on the one speed wheel. Then I can use the three front sprockets to give me a three speed bike. It shouldn't be hard to do at all.

It has to be a steel frame of some kinds since I need to weld on a piece of steel to hold the brake mechanism for the smaller wheel. I also have to weld on a plate to bold the motor to for stability. And finally I have to attach a trailer hitch of some sort. All of those are doable they will just require some thought. Now all I need is a little patience till the perfect bike frame comes along. In the meantime I have a perfectly good bike and soon with have a fifty ah battery pack on the bike. That I will have to test for months. 17ah are sla 32(approximately ) are nimh.

No comments: