Tuesday, July 6, 2010

rather be lucky

It's kind of nice to find out that by accident you did something right. When I build batteries i use common kitchen foil to make the connectors. I stretch vinyl tape over the foil to add tension and some protection from wear. So last night I found I had a battery that wouldn't charge well. A battery is really a 12 volt string of smaller 12volt batteries in parallel to increase the amp hours. So when I took it apart I found a couple that had lost their connections somehow how no big thing, but I also found one that had over heated. I replaced the connection that was heated and the battery was fine. There was no other damage. Obviously the foil and vinyl tape disintegrate with heat. It is a good thing since the circuit went open before it damaged the aa cells. I still need about a hundred to a hundred and fifty aa cells to finish the battery. I have real hopes that it will work as it should.

No comments: