Friday, November 7, 2008

Gina Bike Walter

Friday was a gray day but Walter was feeling very optimistic after his morning shower. Hell he was almost, but not quite, whistling while he mixed up his morning cereal. There was almost a ceremony to the simple breakfast. First he found an old restaurant type bowl that his wife had collected as her everyday dishes. Then he cut off the bottom of a banana. Slicing then dicing a banana is a simple step but a necessary step, after the banana he added a few chopped raisins and dates to the mix. Next he topped that off with a mixture of corn and bran flakes. Walter like mixtures of things in his cereal bowl. He sprinkled on some ground cinnamon, poured on a bit of sugarless pancake syrup, added milk and he had himself a bowl of very complicated cereal. It was packed with different textures and flavors.

That bowl of cereal and his two cups of black coffee got his day started. Walter ate it while at his homemade kitchen table with the slightly oversized TV in the adjacent living area providing him with the morning's usual bleak news.

After his morning cereal and bad news, Walter checked his email. Mixed with the spam were a couple of replies to his questions about which motor to use for his new bike. Even one from the prison where Gina's bike was born.

Dear Mr Mcguire.... My name is Rita Deeds and I was kinda of a friend of your daughters. I knew her only because I built her bike and later I got a burned hand and she treated me. It weren't one of them prison things.

Walter had no idea what one of those prison things was. He did know that the way it sounded in the email 'one of those prison things' wasn't a good thing.

So you have her bike, I'm glad it ain't sittin in no evidence room somewhere. Those bikes need to be rode regular. If you don't do that the carburetors get all gunkie.

If they would let me build bigger bikes, I would build one with a big ole chainsaw engine. I would use basically the same mount but put it on the rear tire. The rest would have to be just figuring it out as I went....

I hope this helps and I was very sad to hear about Gina and specially since it was my bike that got her killed.... Rita..

The email seemed a little less than well written. The bit about the bike getting his daughter killed didn't sit well, since the bike had freed him from his personal prison. Even so he appreciated the thoughtfulness of that Rita person bothering to answer his email.

No comments: