Sunday, November 30, 2008

everytime I think I change my mind...

This current build is going to be very different from anything I have built, or anyone else as far as I know. The idea is that the electric motor freewheels most of the time. It is my understanding that the freewheeling motor if engages slightly will actually charge the battery or batteries. The only time the engine comes into play is when I am tired or the hill is steep enough to be uncomfortable. Then I just throttle ups and off it goes. Since the pedals turn with the engine there is no temptation to run on the engine alone. I am going to be pedaling no matter how much throttle I uses. I hope it works out so that I enjoy the bike experience again. It would be fun to be able to just sit back and take it easy without riding like on a mini motorcycle.

I could ride the bike trail near my house for the experience and then ride it home up some pretty nasty hills with the same amount of effort as riding on the flat ground. It will just be the great equalizer for those of us in hilly terrain. At least that is my hope. The way it is going to be set up, it probably won't even look like a power bike. I know it damn sure won't sound like one.

The question now is how many rpms will I need to make it work the way I want. I can run the bike on 12 or 24 volts. 12 vots will give me 1500 rpms 24 volts will give me double. I have a controller and a throttle so it should work out that I can ease the power on to get to a comfortable level.

Well that is my thinking at the moment.

No comments: