Monday, July 27, 2009

welding is taking a giant leap

I found my welding problem. It was so simple I'm embarrassed to tell anyone but I will. The welder was about four feet short cord wise. I needed a short extension cord. I had a surge protector handy so I used it. You guessed it the thing popped regularly. It also kept the welder from putting out enough head to do a decent job.

The circuit is 20 amps the surge protector is probably 13amps so I was really cold welding everything. I think that is solved now that I bought an extension with 12guage wire so it should do pretty well. I tested it today and it is much easier anyway. I think the welds will hold better now.

I welded some on the hub motor bike that I am converting to a pusher the hub motor sucks. I think I am going to let it sit for a few months in a box then try it again. My next destroyer project is to push 36volts through a cheap chinese 24volt controller. I will then buy a 36volt controller. I am using a 350 watt currie motor and would like to push it to 500 watts or close to it. I think 36volts will do it. From all I have read the 350 can handle the extra voltage.

No comments: