Sunday, April 19, 2009

What to tell a 5year old

I was thinking during my morning shower how I am going to explain my fascination with bike riding to my 5year old grandson. I wish he was older so he would understand. I am rebuilding a bike for his mom to ride with him. He is going to have questions for sure. "Why do you ride a bike "P" (his name for me)?

Bike riding is life caught in a single microcosm. Some days it seems that it is all downhill or flat, Some days it seems to be all uphill and a strain so bad you are not sure you will make it to the top, then you have to do it all over again.

But the more you work at it the more you can enjoy the downhill and flats and the smaller those same hills seem to get. So in the end up have your ups and down but they kind of seem to even out a little. Then of course there is the inevitable crash at the the end. But ****, I do it for the ride not to get anywhere in particular.

Then of course I could be mysterious and say, "I ride because I still can."
__________________

No comments: