Sunday, April 5, 2009

Downtown test ride.

I don't think anyone realizes the condition of our roads unless they ride a power bike. Automobiles can step right over the cracks and small rough spots. The most I ever remember knowing about some of these rough spots was the sound of the tires humming as they went over them. That was in a car, not on the bike.

Those same hummer spots toss me all over the place. Every crack in the road has to be planned for unlike in a car. In a car it is the rail road crossing you might notice. On a bike something a lot smaller can toss you to the ground. I am very very careful around broken pavement. In a car I looked a block down the road planning for what might happen, on my bike I look ten yards down the road to plan.

I haven't even mentioned manhole covers yet. I expect every bike rider knows about those. They are much easier to avoid if you are not pulling a trailer.

This is brought on by the five and a half mile ride downtown and back on my bubba bike. It is the dress rehearsal for my wife's retirement party. The topography isn't too bad, so it is very doable.

Since I doubled the battery pack I had more than enough power. As a matter of fact I came in with 25.5 volts. The power saver feature of the bike shuts it down probably about 24.5 so I had a good amount of reserve. It started at 26.5 volts.

I ran the bike in full comfort conditions so it seems it will go over ten miles at comfort riding mind set and probably twelve or more miles at conservation mind set riding. All in all a successful test..

Oh just a piece of advice, if you build a battery trailer, build a frame on the bed so that the batteries can't shift onto the tires. It makes it hard as **** to pedal with the battery case rubbing a trailer tire. It's a lot like a hand brake dragging. See I am still learning. I learned that during yesterday's test.
__________________

No comments: