Tuesday, April 7, 2009

a cold wind that blows no good.

There is a really cold wind blowing hard today. Very unusual for North Carolina. This is more like New England. So for exercise I cut my grass.

I don't know about anyone else but my mind wanders to lots of things while I cut grass. It doesn't require too much focus to push a lawn mower. So as I am cutting I'm also trying to talk myself out of a larger hub motor.

There are a lot of good reasons not to go up in size. Not the least of which is that the motor I have now will probably last a lifetime. Not because I think it is great, even though I do think it works just as it is supposed to. It's more because it isn't exactly what I want. I just want to see what a 600watt 36volt motor is like.

Then i got to the cost of one of those. $350 to 500 bucks low end. Heck I could get another china girl kit for only $150 these days. Then somewhere out of my minds waste basket I pulled all the other things I had to buy for the kit. Piston rings that I screwed up. Various nuts and bolts I had to replace. A new chain because I switched bikes and the old chain was too short. I couldn't find the links I had cut off to make it fit. Oh yeah a chain tool to cut the chain to fit. Three count em three tensioners trying to find one to keep the chain out of my rear wheel. Oh yes a new rear wheel for when the tensioner went through the spokes of that rear wheel. Special gas cans to keep the premix away from my lawn mower gas. I'm sure there are some other small things I JUST HAD to have.

That's when I realized that the Ebike really wasn't that much more expensive. Especially when I add in the new registration and insurance cost. They are estimating the ins at 85 bucks a year. Oh I almost forgot the fifty dollar motorcycle helmet in my storage room that I will never wear again.

I have to keep telling myself how expensive the hub motor is or I will be out buying a new one.
__________________

No comments: