Sunday, April 4, 2010


I haven't been keeping this up very well probably because I have a bike design that I am very very happy with. It is the same bike as before. The one with the scooter wheel running over the rear wheel driving it forward. The motor is the 600watt with the clutch built into the sprocket. It actually might be a free wheel I don't really know for sure.

I think the bike will do about 15 to 20 mph on a the flat surface which there is very little of here abouts. The battery pack right now is on a trailer I built. Actually it is about version 20 but this one is right. It has the same construction as a bicycle. The wheels are supported on both sides so that they are not in any stress. The weight of the SLA batteries is becoming an issue now that everything else seems to be working fine.

I have decided that I want to put a 36v 12ah battery pack on the bike. With sla that is unlikely to happen. The logistics are just too overwhelming. The lipo batteries are just too expensive for a DIY kind of guy. So what I am going to do is to build a nimh battery pack. If the cells ever arrive from china that is. I am building it from 150 aa cells. I could have built a 10ah pack from D cells. It would have been a bit more expensive that way. Once I get the cells attached and stabilized, it shouldn't make any difference which one I used.

I will try to update this after I get the pack built.

No comments: