Tuesday, February 3, 2009

last try

I threw out all my electric scooter motors except one. I kept it only because I had a clear drive shaft and could try one more time to make a friction direct drive from it.

I decided that I would try a welded sleeve. So first I welded a nut on the end of the drive shaft and then welded the spacer from the drive shaft to it. Then I used the grinder to grind it down so that a 3/8" galvanized pipe nipple would slide down over it. When I had it on, I welded it to the spacer sleeve on the drive shaft.

Then I put my welding rod inside the pipe nipple and welded the pipe nipple to the bolt which I had previously put onto the end of the drive shaft. I also put about half and inch of molten metal on the end of the drive shaft, the bolt, and the pipe nipple. I have no idea whether it will hold on not but it seem to run pretty true. That was one of the big problems before.

I welding a 3/4" nut to the end of the nipple and slipped an 1 1/4 axle peg over that. I welded it to the nut so now it seems to be pretty secure. The only thing I screwed up is that I beat on the drive shaft some and I expect it is going to fail pretty soon. Even if it does, if the drive wheel holds I learned what I needed to know.

Of course it come AFTER I ordered the hub motor kit. I will at least have a spare bike if this works, Also a second motor that I can put on the hubber bubber bike if I need it. It should be an interesting next couple of days while I try to test the friction drive motor. If I can get it tested the hub motor will be here soon and it needs testing as well.

No comments: