Saturday, August 1, 2009

I built a friction drive


Yesterday I built a friction drive on a 26inch mountain bike I had laying around. I decided the bike was too tall and I couldn't make the rear brakes work with the drive on it.

I ran out and bought a 20 inch kids bike and turned it into a friction drive. It was a mixed day. I got some things done then the rear tire blew. To much dry rot.

I was hauling the batteries on a trailer I threw together from some ten inch lawnmover wheels. It pulled like a cinder block dragging behind so I am building one from the scooter wheels. They make the best ones.

It is slow for sure. I'm not sure yet how it compares to the ordinary pusher before I soup it up. It certainly isn't any better probably a little worse. I am going to start "improving" this. I bought a larger sprocket for the motor I think. I am going to use it if I can weld it to the one on the motor now. Then I might start looking for something better than a scooter wheel to use as a drive wheel.

Its a little weird looking I'm sure

No comments: