Wednesday, November 3, 2010

I have been painting the house lately, so I didn't get to ride the bike after the switch back to an on off switch until yesterday. The bike has noticeably more power with the on off switch. It probably is pulling a couple of more amps going uphill. It doesn't seem to be enough to damage the wiring or switch yet, so I'm going to try to ignore it for now. I have wired it with lamp cord wire, so I'm hoping that if there is a failure, it will be in the 15amp rated wire rather than the twenty amp on off switch. I would much prefer the circuit go open than closed.

I rode the bike after a day of painting and very little sleep, so I was fairly clumsy with it. I got a good feel for what would happen if I accidentally turned the switch on. Not much happened. I just turned it off again, when it tried to stand up on me. I have the simplest of all kill switches. It is just a loop of wire twisted into the positive wire from the battery. The two ends of the positive wire are taped to the bike frame, then the loop is twisted to the ends to make a solid lead. I can easily grab the loop in a melt down and pull it out of the circuit. Unless the ends of the positive wire make a circuit using the bike frame somehow the power should be killed.

I wanted to keep this bike as simple as possible, so I kept the coaster brake as the only brake. One thing I knew from the past experiments was that if I turn the motor off, the drag of the drive system on the rear wheel would bring the bike to a stop eventually. The coaster brake and the drag are very effective. in case of a broken chain, the bike goes slow enough that I could let the drag stop it or even run into the curb or something to stop it in an emergency. A front brake would be nice and I might put one on. I have plenty of room for it and bunches of them around. Lack of a brake isn't the problem, I just didn't want to fool with it at the time.

Frankly I'm still looking for a dual suspension bike to test the motor on. It really is my last test of the rhino configuration. I am still vacillating between it and a gasoline friction drive system. Pulling the trailer is a pain but it is doable of course. The trailer is the weakest link at the moment. I really need a better connection or rethink how I carry batteries.

No comments: