Thursday, November 26, 2009

24v test

Today I rode the 24 bike a total of 7 miles. Two miles, then I recharged it, then five more miles. On the five mile ride I took note of something which I had noticed before. After about 2.5 miles the power curve changed dramatically. I had been running the bike at about half throttle the first 2.5 miles but had to run it wot the next 2.5 to get the help up the hills. Obviously the batteries put out more amps for a short period of them, then it goes downhill rapidly.

On that bike I am running a 24v battery pack, a 24v 500 watt controller, and a 600 watt motor. I took an hour to change out the controller on a test bike that is the same. It now has a 600 watt motor, a 24v 350 watt controller and a 24v battery. What I want to know is will that flatten out the power curve of the battery pack. If I have to run on half amps after two miles, I would just as soon run on it all the time. So I may have some definitive answers on how to handle that sort of thing.

I am going to make the same ride tomorrow with the smaller controller to see if the range is the same and the performance is more even.

No comments: